This release includes breaking changes, as we upgrade to SvelteKit 1.0. Node 14 is no longer supported, use Node >= 16.
- 🦆 Upgrade DuckDB to 0.7.1: The most recent DuckDB file format is now supported (🙏 @gregwdata)
- 🧱 Display Non-SQL Code Blocks: (Non-executable) code blocks will now display if you use the name of the language for the code fence.
- ⛲ Sankey Diagram: Added (🙏 @nidhi-kala)
- 📦 Upgrade SvelteKit to 1.0: This unlocks lots of cool new features for the future, stay tuned! (🙏 @csjh)
- Custom SvelteKit syntax and custom layout files may need to be renamed if you use them.
- 🐛 Fix for sources directory (CSV connector): eliminates an error and unexpected behaviour that occurs when a
sourcesdirectory is added to a project
- 🪲 Fix breadcrumb capitalization: some words were not being capitalized in breadcrumbs
📁 CSV Support: new connector that lets you query CSV files directly in your SQL (using duckdb under the hood!)
🔢 Fixes for DataTable:
- Value formatting: fixes unit summaries in DataTable (e.g.,
- Download button fixes: download button was not appearing in tables without pagination; downloadable prop now works in all scenarios (turn on or off download ability for your users)
- Value formatting: fixes unit summaries in DataTable (e.g.,
🧪 Testing & dev process improvements in our core open source repo:
- Playwright implemented in the core Evidence repo: the start of our UI test suite for our open source repo
- "Next" package: new features and fixes now get released under a "next" package before they're released to everyone
- 🥽 Fail builds on error: new option to fail builds when there are errors in components or queries
- 🗺️ US state map + Map links: choropleth map component for US states, includes feature to click on a state and have it follow a link
- ⭕ Minimal Venn diagram: 3-circle venn diagram with ability to label each dataset/overlaps
- ⚠️ Column error handling in DataTable: gives an inline error when column references are missing
- 🌪️ Funnel chart upgrades: adds legend, labels, and modifies the height of funnel charts (🙏 @nidhi-kala)
- 🐌 Bug Fixes
- 🔗 Table Images & Links: Include images and clickable links in your tables, for both internal navigation and to external sites.
- 🔎 Table Sort, Search and Customization Options: as well as better control of how data is displayed in your table
- 🎨 Project Styles & Themes: Edit the colors, fonts, and page layout of your Evidence project with the
- 🐌 Bug Fixes
- ✨ Revamped DataTable: with better defaults, and more customization options.
- 🪲 Bug Fixes:
- 🪜 Improved Visual Hierarchy: of H1-H6 and lists to separate content more clearly
- 🏞️ Multi Environment Support: so you can use dev data when developing reports in Evidence.
- 🌪️ Funnel Chart: component added (🙏🏼 @dhrjarun)
- 📜 Scroll Support on Query Viewer (🙏🏼 @afzalsayed96)
- ⌨️ Improved Accessibility: of our UI components (🙏🏼 @yukseltron)
- ⬇️ Download Data from Charts: so users can export chart data to wherever they need it (🙏🏼 @yukseltron)
- 🐘 Optional Postgres Schema Field: which makes using data environments separated by schema easier
- ❌ Turn Off Default Chart Sort: which users were finding confusing (Bar, Line, Area)
- 🦟 Bug Fixes
- 🦆 DuckDB Connector: so you can use the "SQLite for Analytics". (🙏🏼 @jwills, @mause)
- 🐛 Bug Fixes:
- 💬 Styled Blockquotes: so you can add emphasis to quotes and text.
- ⚡ Faster Install on Mac Silicon: with an upgrade to SQLite.
- 🛠️ Better Contributor Experience: with automated testing, a clearer contributing guide, and simpler install experience.
- 📖 Docs Updates
- How to reference queries (🙏🏼 @roveo)
- Using parameterized pages
- Inserting images and static files
- 🐛 Bug Fixes
- 📊 Custom chart examples: showing how to create custom charts outside the core Evidence library.
- 🤌🏾 More intuitive custom components: organized in
/components/, with better docs.
- 📅 Better date parsing and handling in components: so you can always get the date format just right.
- ⬆️ Redshift connector in UI: no more guessing using Postgres settings.
- 🪲 Bug Fixes: To Remove breadcrumb links to non-existent pages, Stop format tags applying to strings and Ensure charts copy nicely.
- 📝 Native markdown table formatting: to make your tables look slick. Plus a VSCode shortcut to speed up markdown tables - try typing
- 🖼️ Updated Evidence diagram: explaining more clearly what Evidence does.
- 💡 Titles for tooltips: for Scatter Plots and Bubble Charts.
- 🎓 Tutorial in new projects: which shows when run for the first time - it's optional and less than 5 mins.
- 🐌 Bug fixes: For time-based bar charts and boolean appearance in tables.
A lot of users have styled some version of this into their projects using CSS, but the new
<BigValue/> offers a lot more than just styling.
- 🔟 BigValue includes support for colour coded comparison, and a sparkline. They look great on their own, or arranged in a set.
Users told us our mobile experience could be improved, so we’ve reworked it.
- 🍔 Top-right hamburger menu: Access all the pages in your Evidence project on mobile using the hamburger
- 🤞 Fewer bugs: We’ve introduced end-to-end tests which means we catch bugs before we release them!
- 🏷️ Format tags: covering a wide range of dates / times, many major currencies, numbers and percentages
- 🤖 Auto formats tags: which infer the number of decimal places and units (k, M, B) to display based on the input numbers
- 💫 Custom formats: if you can’t find what you need in our standard tags, you can make any format supported by excel format strings eg "$" ##0,000, "k"
- 🌄 Static folder: so you can add images and other static files to your project
- 📊 Improved chart tooltips: cleaner-looking tooltips with formatted titles and numbers
- 🔢 Type system: all data types from our supported data warehouses now map cleanly to Evidence's 4 data types: string, number, date, and boolean
- #️⃣ See column types in query viewer table: below each column name, you can now see the data type for each column in your query
- 🗒️ Formatted data in query viewer tables: when looking at your data in a query viewer, you'll now see formatted data based on the format tags you include in your query (e.g.,
- 🪲 Bug Fixes: Changing names of queries caused errors, Missing .gitignore file caused errors when setting up SQLite
- #️⃣ More intuitive query data syntax: before
- ❄️ Updated Snowflake connector: so everything you need is now in the settings menu
- 📋 Copy-Paste “just works”: just Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V to get Evidence images and text to documents and emails
- 🐛 No false untitled query warnings: squashing a bug where ghost queries were being detected
- 🧮 Fixed sorting issues: queries results now always sort as specified in your SQL
- 📂 Auto-open a browser tab: when you
npm run dev
- ⌨️ VSCode Extension shortcuts improved: cmd-shift-V/cmd-K V to open Markdown Preview mode
- ✨ Evidence has a new demo project! Check out how business is going for Needful Things Inc.
This release makes it easier to share your Evidence project outside Evidence.
- 💾 Component download options: Download DataTables and query results as CSVs, save charts to PNG
- 🔽 Export to PDF: Save reports to PDF from each Evidence page
- 🙅🏽♂️ Telemetry opt-out: We record anonymous data to help us figure out when things are broken, and count the number of Evidence projects. If you'd rather we didn't, you can now easily turn this off in the settings menu
- 🚢 Deploy to Vercel: Added to settings panel
- 🙈 Persistent show/hide of SQL and query results: Rather than expanding queries after each page refresh - Evidence will now remember the state before reload.
- ➡️ Pass Evidence command line arguments to Svelte-kit: Allows configuring Svelte-kit options from the command line. E.g. to change the port Evidence runs on, use
npm run dev -- --port 4000
Users told us they wanted a simpler project structure and easier options to connect to their databases and deploy.
This release revamps the UI, strips back the project structure, adds UI options for connection and deployment. Read the PR in Github.
- 👏 Simplified Evidence project structure - fewer confusing files cluttering your project directory
- ✨ UI refresh - auto-generated sidebar nav, better errors and breadcrumbs
- 🔌 Slick database connections - now just use the settings menu in your Evidence project
- 🚀 Deploy straight from Evidence - get your Evidence project online from the settings menu
- 🎓 Updated, easier tutorial - a faster, funner start to using Evidence